[Kde-pim] Reason why the 700p doesn't sync...

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun Feb 25 04:40:13 GMT 2007

Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> It is worthwhile to note that I have extremely frequently had problems
> with kpilot and the kpilotDaemon. It seems like exiting kpilot, at least
> on my machine, generally FUBAR's the Daemon process. I often see it
> sitting down there with no icon. In fact, this time I had two different
> problems getting to where you wanted me to go. First I went to the
> config and kpilot froze. I then erased everything (find ~ -name
> "*kpilot*" -exec rm -rf {} \;) and tried again, and instead of picking
> wizard like I normally do, I picked dialog. Same deal. The third time, I
> killed everything, waited a little, removed everything again, waited a
> little bit and finally tried the same thing and was able to get into the
> config dialog there. I don't know why this has been so troublesome, but
> I've had problems like that on two different laptops now.

I get this regularly. Just "killall kpilotDaemon" from a console window and the config dialog will
pop right on up.

I have a Treo 680 and yesterday I finally managed to upgrade pilot-link to the latest version and
get libusb working properly. It's a lot faster and marginally less flaky with kpilot if you can get
it to run. I've not managed to get bluetooth syncing working yet though.

For convenience I always have kpilot running in the background, but I kill kpilotDaemon manually
when I'm not likely to sync and only start it as required (from a terminal window). This seems to
work relatively well with 4.9.0

Brad