[Kde-pim] Disabling menu vs. putting a (disabled) item in it

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Wed Feb 14 23:33:48 GMT 2007

Hi Usability,

While looking at some bits of KMail I found the reply menu. It's one of the
RMB menus that comes up. If you RMB click on a displayed menu, you get

Reply >
Forward >
---
( ... and more )

Choosing Reply gets you a sub-menu:

Reply ...
Reply to All ...
Reply to Mailing-List ..
Reply with template ...
Reply to all with template ...

The last two are new in KDE 3.5.6. Now, the issue is what to do with those
last two menu items. It is possible that there are no templates to use. So,
what do we do then?

1) Right now, the item is enabled, but there is a single disabled item in the
sub-sub-menu called "(no templates)".

2) To me, disabling the item itself (ie. if no templates, show "Reply with
template ..." disabled) seems more sensible.

What is the guideline?

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot