[Kde-pim] [DATA LOSS] Concurrent accesses with korganizer

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Wed Feb 28 09:29:03 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 09:49, Matthieu Moy wrote:

> First of all: if concurrent accesses can lead to data-loss, please,
> please, pleeeeease, implement a lock mechanism to prevent them. Just
> an obscure error message (could not rename partial file ...) and
> voila, your data is lost is terribly frustrating.

Yes, you are right. We should prevent data loss as far as possible. It's not
that easy, though. You are basically accessing internal files when you are
accessing the ics through ssh. It's hard to capture all this cases and it's
also the question to what degree this makes sense as a common user normally
wouldn't do this anyway.

> Secondly: what's the recommanded setup for my case (access from
> multiple sites to the same calendar)? Indeed, the perfect case would
> be an actual synchronization since I can also work offline for a
> while.

If you need concurrent access to a calendar you should use a groupware server,
which is designed for that.

The most simple setup is to use a plain IMAP server through the Kolab
resource. You don't necessarily need a full-blown Kolab server, a normal IMAP
server, for example what you usually get from your ISP, should be enough.
This setup allows you to work offline and includes some kind of
synchronization.