[Kde-pim] KMail: "smart paste" of email addresses

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Dec 16 21:34:25 GMT 2007

Hi all,

since a respective generic question on k-c-d got no reply for about a week
now, I take it that it is no longer possible to intercept text going into a
QLineEdit or its subclasses.

Since the AddresseeLineEdit in libkdepim used this (i.e. reimplementing
KLineEdit::paste(), KLineEdit::insert()) to implement the so called "smart
paste" feature, it no longer works.

From my somewhat limited investigation the only reasonable way to implement
this now is to use a QValidator on the line edit and let it "fixup" the
string.
However, since intercepting paste() doesn't work any longer either, it could
only be turned on/off on middle-mouse-button pastes, it will probably have to
work continuously, i.e. not just when inserting text through pasting.

Another option, though not totally equivalent in behavior, might be to
implement this in the completion handler. Not totally equivalent because
pasting doesn't seem to trigger completion by itself, but this might depend
on the completion mode setting.

Any preferences which way I should investigate further, or maybe any other
option I am overlooking?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring