[Kde-pim] Akonadi related questions

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Dec 4 20:28:18 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Volker Krause wrote:
> On Sunday 02 December 2007 14:05:33 Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > If it is meant to be released, I recommend renaming at least the
> > executable to akonadiclient or something similar. Currently it is the
> > first thing which comes up on commandline completing, making it the most
> > obvious item to start. i.e. making it look like "the" Akonadi program.
>
> Hm, I guess it could be useful to have something like this as an installed
> command line tool. So, renaming is probably a good idea.

I recommend we keep it "internal" for 4.0, e.g. disable it (or whatever the
release people do in this case) and create (change it into) a proper command
tool for 4.1

Since we are planning on pretty much replace existing KDE PIM applications
with Akonadi enabled newer ones, an Akonadi enabled commandline application
core could be interesting for our current two commandline tool
(konsolekalendar, kabcclient) as well, i.e. reimplementing them as specific
purpose frontends.

Such a core could then also be used for a "shell bindings" like tool, i.e.
where the tools user has to understand collections and items.

> It mainly has historical reasons (originally the no KDE dependency goal
> existed for the library as well). We probably should add Akonadi debug
> areas and start using those.

I am volunteering to do this.
Do we want the debug areas somewhere in the current KDE PIM range (5xxx)?
When yes, where?

We could probably "move" kitchensync from 5200 to 55xx (KPilot is 551x) and
then use the 52xx range for Akonadi.

> Unless something changes it will be part of the KDE4.0 release but only as
> a preview release without any guarantees on API/ABI compatibility.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

Enjoy FOSS.IN!

Cheers,
Kevin