[Kde-pim] Request to exclude KMail from the KDE 4.0 release

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at gmx.net
Sun Dec 9 17:25:44 GMT 2007

Hi,

I've seen some offers to help working on KMail. Thanks for that.

I'm willing to help with this, so you can mail any questions or patches to me
or this list, I'll do my best to answer them or help with any issues.

As for the required skills, some knowledge of C++ is probably required, and
the very basics of Qt. I started without knowing much about kdelibs or KMail,
it is a learning process while working on it, and that works pretty good.

There are many things to work on. I guess the best is to start KMail and find
some bugs, or look at the list at
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/kdepim/kde4bugs#KMail
Some things are probably too complex for a beginner (like the timeout issue,
which is triggered semi-randomly, and requires debugging of kioslaves).
Anyway, that seems to be fixed with the kdelibs from the newssl branch.
I also wouldn't work on the encryption stuff, as the KDAB people already work
on that (it seems).

For the editor stuff, these things need to be done properly, maybe even moving
some functions from KMCompseWin to KMeditor. Now is the only chance to get
the design right.

As for side-effects (the code in KMail is a bit complicated in places),
reviewing the patches will certainly help.

I would recommend starting with fixing small things first.

Cheers,
Thomas