[Kde-pim] Akonadi: Evolution Data Server migration path

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Dec 17 10:47:39 GMT 2007

Hello PIMsters,

I recently discovered that one of the items on the GNOME Roadmap [1] is EDS
migration to D-Bus instead of CORBA.

There is already one such implementation for the Nokia Maemo platform called
EDS embedded [2], which might serve as a starting point for the migration
mentioned above.

Since communication through D-Bus opens a new playing field for
interoperability, I took the EDS embedded implementation to see if it would
be possible to implement the service side on top of our APIs, i.e. keeping
the application (client side) code untouched and "impersonating" EDS.

So far I have a very basic implementation of the addressbook part of EDS based
in KABC (primarily using KABC because I am familiar with its API).

The only application I have tested with sofar is the rather simple addressbook
application "Contacts" from the Pimlico project [3] and I am ignoring the
resource URI sent by the application (using standard KDE addressbook resource
instead), but manipulating the data and getting notified about manipulation
by some other program (e.g. KAddressBook) works rather nicely.

The general idea is to implement this as an Akonadi client, probably an agent
so it can be started as part of a profile.

I am currently unsure how I should tackle the issue of the client provided
resource, i.e. the EDS client basically performs a factory call using a
resource URI and expects a D-Bus object path as the return value, pointing to
the D-Bus object managing the specified addressbook.

I think it would be possible to start Akonadi resources on demand through
AgentManager, but it seems to rely on already configured resources or user
interactive configuring.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap