[Kde-pim] Request to exclude KMail from the KDE 4.0 release

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at gmx.net
Sun Dec 9 15:13:37 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Friday 07 December 2007, Sander van Grieken wrote:
> > [..]
> > So please, exclude KMail from the release.
> > Can this be done when tagging the release (or release canidates)?
> > [..]
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> I agree. If it's this broken it shouldn't be shipped. I hope it's possible
> to provide stable 3.5 branch parts where the 4.0 branch isn't stable yet?
No, this is not possible. You can not embed KParts from the 3.5 branch into a
KDE 4 Kontact. Additionally, the communication is done with DBUS a lot, so
this wouldn't work either. So it is either all or nothing for Kontact.

Anyway, there is the enterprise branch, which provides a very stable KDEPIM
version in the meantime.

> > The list of the biggest problems (there are many more small problems of
> > course):
> > [..]
> > Mails bigger than ~13 kB can not be sent.
> >
> > To quote Thiago:
> >>"The problem is: kio_smtp is using TCPSlaveBase, which I had ported to
> >
> > QTcpSocket, but reverted due to no SSL support. So, please don't continue
> > your port. Bear with the 1440 bytes limit or help me write the new SSL
> > framework."
> >
> >>"Make SSL work first. Then all problems magically solve."
> >
> > So this won't work until the new SSL framework arrives.
>
> What?! This alone should hold off the entire KDE4 release! So this means no
> KDE app is able to use SSL??
I don't know the details, but I guess some KIO slaves which use write() are
now broken for the same reason (I heard that file upload in HTTP is not
possible because of this).
I don't know the SSL specific bugs though.

> > [..]

Regards,
Thomas