[Kde-pim] good server-traffic tools?

Sam Bishop sam at bishop.dhs.org
Wed Apr 4 00:04:57 BST 2007

All,

As you may remember, I've recently aspired to the lofty goal of KMail
hacker.  :)  I'm trying to setup a mail server to experiment with, and I'm
wondering if you have any suggestions for me.

I've never setup a mail server, and I have very little experience with
network-enabled applications.  If all I were doing was setting up a server
for my own use, google would be sufficient, I'm sure.  But I'm wondering
how you monitor the traffic between KMail and the server.  Do some of the
servers have a "no-fork, debug, and verbose" mode, or do you use something
like tcpdump?

(I've chosen POP3 to begin with, since it's supposed to be simpler, but I
expect to move to IMAP eventually.)

Thank you very much for your time.

Sam Bishop