[Kde-pim] 80%CPU and 46% memory used by kontact with maildir containing about 40000 messages

Jiri Navratil plavcik at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 07:50:20 BST 2007

Hi,

Could you let me know, if I have a chance to minimise kontact's needs for
resources? I had temporarily left my better computer and must use a older
machine (640 MB RAM, Celeron 900 MHz, Kubuntu 6.10, Kontact 1.2.3, KMail
1.9.5). I have a big maildir archive (40000 messages) + using two IMAP
accounts both with less as 1000 messages. Unfortunately,  I have a problem
with performance on the old computer (only). After first start, kontact did
something on background which take about two days. After that, any actions
take unusably too long. For example, to move a message via M button and
"movement" in the list to next one takes seconds. I had disabled all type of
sorting like threads and so on, but there is still no improvement.

Is this related to number of messages? I like Kontact and would prefer to
find the way, how to use it also on this configuration.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best regards,
Jiri Navratil

--