[Kde-pim] Threaded ldap search class

Sean Harmer sh at theharmers.co.uk
Tue Apr 10 10:43:37 BST 2007

Hi,

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 08:45, Szombathelyi György wrote:
> Seems you read my comment in LdapSearch::Private::startSearch :)
Yup - sounded like fun and so... :-)

> About the QString->LdapDN conversion: go ahead, that was just my
> laziness why I didn't do it before.
OK I'll apply this when I get a chance.

> About the threaded search: The duplication of most of LdapSearch into
> LdapSearchThread is a no-go, that should be integrated directly into
> LdapSearch.
That was what I thought and so I decided to check first.

> If it works reliable, there's no reason to keep the
> QTimer::singleShot() method.
It seems OK so far. I'm making some more changes to the separate thread
version at the moment. I've changed the API a little so that it accepts an
LdapServer object rather than an LdapConnection. This way the search object
can create its own connection in the new thread and not have to worry about
protecting access to it from the calling thread. It seems safer this way as
there doesn't seem to be much info in the ldap man pages about
multithreading.

Once I'm done with those changes, I'll merge it into LdapSearch and post it
here for comments and testing.

> Also, the waitForResult() should be merged with result(), there's no
> point to keep it seperate.
OK, I see.

> P.S.: Is there really a forever{} construct in Qt?
Yes, really :-)

Kind regards,

Sean