[Kde-pim] Kmail and ethernet port locking

Jens jens at pacificsun.ca
Fri Apr 27 01:09:37 BST 2007

I have had this really weird issue for some time and it is driving me nuts.
My computer is on 24/7/365 and Kmail is set up to retrieve email every few
minutes. A few months back, Kmail would lock up pretty frequently. It turned
out that, without any regularity or predictability, the ethernet link between
the computer running Kmail to my in-house network would go down. More
specifically, the activity light on the port being used goes nuts as if the
port is in some sort of infinite loop or what-have-you.
I shifted my ethernet connection to another port on the same computer with the
same results.
If the port is in it's locked up state, I just unplug the network cable and
plug it back in and all is well with the ethernet link. In all cases, Kmail
is locked up and I am guessing checking for email. To recover, I close down
Kmail and start it back up and all is well.

At this point I have not been able to determine if the problem is hardware
related, software related or Kmail related but Kmail is the only program
that comes to mind that goes out to the ethernet port on a regular basis
while nobody is on the computer.
Because I depend on the computer and email to forward emails to my regular
computer after filtering via Kmail, I am reluctant to just have the computer
sit for a day without Kmail running. Also, sometimes there is no lockup for a
couple of days and sometimes it locks up after an hour or two. There is no
clear pattern that I can see at this point.

Is this a known issue? I figure I better see if this is a known problem before
I do something drastic like replacing the computer or the mail app.
I did not find anything similar to this via Google but then there are so many
different possible ways of formulating the query ....

Thanks

Jens