[Kde-pim] Does local time zone need a name?

mark at easymailings.com mark at easymailings.com
Wed Apr 4 02:55:47 BST 2007

> There has been a thread on kde-core-devel debating whether the local
time

> zone

> name needs to be identified. Because of the title of the thread,
"KDED

> time

> zone module", some people may have ignored it.

> The thread has ended up as a debate between myself and Thiago about

> whether or

> not it is necessary to know the name of the local time zone. I have
argued

> that it is necessary for display to the user (in time zone selection
combo

> boxes at least), and for writing to iCalendar (and probably other
data

> also).

> Thiago argues that simply calling it "local zone" (or
similar) is

> sufficient,

> the benefit being to avoid what can in some circumstances be a
costly

> initialisation process to identify it. For details, see the thread

> referred

> to, particularly from

> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=117534844924723&w=2
onwards.

> I'd appreciate it if some KDE PIM people, and others, could give
their

> so that it isn't a debate between just two people.

Hi David,

Were you saying that an invite needs a timezone name as well as the the
actual timezone definition?  I rarely use invitations, but if an
invitation had the timezone definition and no name, wouldn't that be
enough for the receipients calendar program to make sense of it?

As to original point of that thread, in general I am leery of using
daemons as they are hard to write in a secure manner (although I assume
kded has been audited pretty heavily) and are a lot more complex than
file-based storage.  The motivation for using kded was
performance--did you do any profiling?