[Kde-pim] Volunteering code monkey for MS Exchange plugin into kdepim

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Wed Nov 15 14:46:06 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 03:27:45PM +0100, Federico Zenith wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi Federico,

> and since it would appear mostly an issue of
> importing/adapting Evolution code, I thought I might give a hand.
He, that sounds good :)

> So, I would need a few pieces of advice:
>
> - What do I need to implement, and where (I assume you are working in trunk)?
Well, for KDE 4 the API of the resources isn't finished yet, so maybe
you should concentrate on KDE 3.5.5. Most companies, schools and
universities will use 3.5.5 for the next 2-3 years anyway, so
implementing it only for KDE 4.0 wouldn't make much sense.

> - Anything else you think I should know before I get my dirty hands on this
> job? (e.g. someone has already started and I should coordinate with them,
> team coding practices, the parts of kdepim code I should know, and so on)
Maybe some general information how to start hacking a new resource:

What is a resource?
  - A resource is a plugin which is loaded by the several pim
    applications to access pim data from external data sources.

So you have to implement/adapt a new resource for libkabc (address book
library) and libkcal (calendaring library).

We have currently 2 versions of an Exchange resource (exchange and
newexchange), both are located under
  svn://svn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.5.5/kdepim/kresources

I guess should take a look at newexchange and try to adapt it to the evo
plugin.

If you have questions feel free to ask on this list or on #kontact
channel on irc.kde.org.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Council of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!