[Kde-pim] kdenetwok and kde4

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Tue Nov 21 21:41:24 GMT 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 00:01, Giovanni Venturi wrote:
> Hello,
> I don't know if this is the right place to write, but I've seen on
> lists.kde.org and I didn't see a kdenetwork mailing lists.

kde-networkmanager at kde.org is the knetworkmanager list, but only for that
tool.

<snip>

> was trying knetwokmanager from kdereview branch but it doesn't support
> Slackware so it doesn't compile...

More accurately, Slackware doesn't have the NetworkManager daemon, so
knetworkmanager can't work.

> Is there plan for KDE4? I was at Will
> Stephenson presentation in Dublin last September... the presentation for
> the KDE Network future... Will do you know if there is a project plan for
> kdenetwork for KDE 4 specially for WiFi/VPN?

Yes, the plan is to use Solid for network management with interchangeable
backends for different distributions/platforms.  The interface is in kdelibs,
the NetworkManager backend will be next.

> If not... can I try to give
> help for a WiFi application? If some application exists and it's good
> develop it instead to start from the begining I could try to use it, or
> give my contribution. I used wpa_supplicant and connected to my AP with
> WPA2 without problem, so I'd like to give help for a GUI application that
> do this and possibily system indipendent... I can give hand for Slackware
> distro and when will be possible for FreeBSD.
> Giovanni

Sounds like you'd be a candidate to implement a wpa_supplicant or
direct-to-slackware-scripts backend for Solid.  I make no statement about how
easy that task is.  You can also ask on the solid list, there is one
contributor there (Christopher Blauvelt) that was working on some alternative
backend scripts.

HTH

Will

--