[Kde-pim] Libical versus system time zones

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Thu Nov 16 23:56:10 GMT 2006

On Thursday 16 November 2006 22:29, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Am Don Nov 16 2006 schrieb David Jarvie:
> > I'm going to replace the time zone conversion code in
> > kresources/lib/webdavhandler.cpp (function zoneAsUtc() etc.) which
> > currently calls libical functions, with KDateTime based code. Currently,
> > it uses the built-in libical time zones when converting. Is there any
> > preference as to whether the system time zones or the libical time zones
> > should be used when I replace the old code?
> >
> > This raises the general question as to whether libkcal should normally
> > use the built-in libical time zones, or the system ones.
>
> If the system time zones can be properly exported to a VTIMEZONE and put
> into an .ics file, I'd tend to prefer the system time zones. Of course, an
> ical calendar can (and actually should) provide its own time time zone
> definitions, which should then be used....

The ICalTimeZone class provides the ability to export system time zones into
VTIMEZONE components, and this is now used in
icalformat.cpp/icalformatimpl.cpp. So it's possible to use system time zones
just as easily as built-in libical time zones.

I certainly agree that VTIMEZONE components should be used where they exist,
in preference to system time zones. AFAICS RFC2445 requires VTIMEZONEs to be
used, and doesn't even mention using system (or libical) time zones when
reading a calendar.

> As libical is no longer maintained, I suppose sticking with its TZ
> definitions is not such a good idea in any case.

That's a convincing argument.

David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.
http://www.astrojar.org.uk/linux/kalarm.html