[Kde-pim] Babbling Summary (Was: Kontact Site update)

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Mon Dec 18 17:04:08 GMT 2006

On Monday, December 18, 2006 06:35:37 AM Dale Strickland-Clark wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm going to be bringing the Kontact web site up-to-date and looking after it.
>
> I thought I start with the News section. A news section with frequent updates
> (even only slightly relevant) makes a sites and its project look active and
> busy which gives people confidence in it.
>
> The problem is I don't have a clue what's going on. So I need a bit of help.
>
> The last news on the site is 2005 August 22.
>
> Could you please email me anything of interest since then?
>
> I want anything relating to:
>
>  * release schedules
>  * milestones
>  * significant deployments
>  * partnerships
>  * new developers
>  * conferences
>  * meetings
>  * reviews/comparisons
>  * etc.

Babbling...  hope you can find some useful nuggets...

Annual KDEPIM developer meeting will happen in early January 2007,
to be held in Osnabrueck (sp?) Germany.

Akonadi is the biggest new technology going on for KDEPIM4.

Next Kontact (and Kontact components) will be released with KDE 3.5.6 in mid-January.
A summary of changes:
 + KMail templates
 + KMail background filtering improvements
 + KMail RecipientsEditor improvements
 + KOrganizer year and incidence printing (and lots of other printing cleanups)
 + KOrganizer new command line options (--merge, --import, --open)
 + Kontact appointment and to-do summary menus for "edit', "delete",
    "mark completed" (to-dos only).
 + KPilot updates (from CodeYard)
 + KArm updates (from KDAB)
 + A bunch of bugfixes and usability improvements

We are looking for new contributors all the time.

Two new developers, Dmitry Morozhnikov and Jonathan Marten, did all
the work creating the new KMail templates feature for KDE 3.5.6.
And another new contributor, Christian Schaarschmidt, made a bunch of
bug fixes for 3.5.6, including many improvements for the KMail recipients editor.
We also have patches from new contributors, BJ Blanchard, Thomas McGuire,
going into the 3.5.6 release.   (there may be others... I don't want to leave anyone out)

Also, Oral Timocin is working on a new Kontact summary view called "Planner"
to replace the current Appointments and To-do summaries.  Hopefully, this
will be ready for KDE 3.5.7.

KDE4 porting is sorta stuck.  DCOP->D-Bus porting in KMail especially isn't easy.
And we are waiting for Akonadi, which will mean some substantial re-writing
of everything in the module.

A good deal of work in our own mime library (kmime) for KDEPIM4 is progessing quite well.
Volker is doing the hard work.  This library should entirely replace the old mimelib (3rd party).

Cornelius should be able to provide a blurb about the OpenSync and KitchenSync
work for KDEPIM4.

I would think that the Osnabrueck meeting will generate much more,  maybe
even some milestones.

--
This is my KDE signature