[Kde-perl] Qt Compile Flags (Was: Compiling Without Installing)

Jonathan Yu jonathan.i.yu at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 22:36:04 CEST 2009

Eric:

Actually, an Alien:: package (or several) seems like a good idea.

One thing I'm not sure about, though, is whether Alien:: packages
should be designed to work with normal user accounts (ie non-root CPAN
installs). I'm not even sure what package to use as a reference for
this -- I did look at Alien::Judy which is a simple enough package
that I can sort of grasp what is happening.

Moreover, I'd want to reduce the build dependencies if possible,
especially in the case where there are modules already installed on
the system. I'd like it if users didn't have to download the Alien::
stuff if App::Info detects that it's already installed (App::Info
would be a build dependency, rather than a full out dependency).

This is particularly useful for people that are on systems like, say,
Debian.. where the trick is to find out if there is a system-installed
version, or ask the user otherwise. Perhaps the Alien package could be
used as a convenience, more like:

1. Download App::Info for Smoke
2. Check if libsmokeqt is installed
3. If it is, then use it; otherwise:
4. Prompt the user to install it, ask if it's okay, etc (maybe EUMM's
prompt subroutine can be used for this)
5. Install Alien::Smoke etc via CPAN

If the lib is already installed, then (as detected by App::Info), then
you wouldn't need to install the Alien version via CPAN. Thus
Alien::Smoke wouldn't be a direct dependency.

Cheers,

Jonathan