[Kde-perl] Perl-Qt4?

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Wed May 31 10:50:23 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 04:26, Joe Claborn wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 May 2006 4:30 pm,
>
> > You;re not getting the point, I've over 20,000 lines of code written in
> > Perl-Qt for PhoeNUX's GUI tools and DO NOT want to port to yet another
> > language. Please Ashley, say that there is a port planned :)
>
> We too have a substantial number of lines written in Perl-Qt.  And as we
> have not been able to solve the setNumRows(0) crashes, I'm looking at Ruby
> or C++. I like what I've read about Ruby, but I worried about getting into
> another situation where I'm not writting in the 'base' language of the
> tool. If we port to Ruby, and then in a couple of years Ruby-Qt fades away
> as it appears that Perl-Qt is, then I'm going to wish I'd ported to C++.
Well, I certainly hope QtRuby doesn't fade away in two years. Unless I fall
under a bus, I will attempt to maintain the code and build a communty around
it. Now that there is a GPL version of Qt4 that runs under Windows there is
more chance of the QtRuby (or PerlQt) community having a critical mass of
people who will be able to look after the code even if the current
maintainers can no longer do so.

> Any ideas?  Is there a way to keep Perl-Qt alive?
Well, because QtRuby uses the same 'Smoke' library as PerlQt, and that is
already ported to Qt4. The rest of the changes could be based on the QtRuby
code as the two projects are still very similar. However, I just don't have
the time to do the work myself, although I'm perfectly happy to help someone
else do it who is familar with perlguts coding.

-- Richard