[Kde-perl] Is PerlQt still alive?

Rob kdemail-raindog at kudla.org
Mon Jun 6 17:33:31 CEST 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 10:30, Peter Daum wrote:
> I am a little concerned, that this might turn out to
> be another dead end: I want to reimplement an
> application, that I originally wrote with Kylix, which
> seemed to be a good idea at the time but is
> now pretty much abandoned and Kylix applications are
> becoming increasingly difficult to maintain on current
> Linux distributions.

I've kind of shifted focus to Gambas (a sort of VB-like thing, GPL)
over the last year or two for purposes of RAD.  Lately I've been
thinking of porting my PerlQt apps to Gambas since version 2 will be
toolkit-agnostic (version 1 is Qt-based, but there's a mostly working
Gtk binding in the version 2 betas) and I have hope that it'll
eventually work under Windows without needing Cygwin or X.

I don't mean to belittle all the work that's gone into PerlQt, because
I have always found Qt Designer + perlqt to work great and easier,
for me at least, than GLADE + perl/gtk.  I certainly prefer perl over
BASIC, even as non-BASIC-like a dialect as Gambas uses.  But a
compile/run/debug cycle that consists of pressing F5 is kinda hard to
argue with.

Rob