[Kde-perl] Perl-Qt 3.009b2 under RHEL4 IA64

Ashley Winters jahqueel at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 08:32:44 CEST 2005

--- Bernard Li <bli at bcgsc.ca> wrote:

> Hi Ashley:
>
> I have turned off optimization in smoke/qt/Makefile and now it works.
>
> GCC version I used is:
>
> gcc version 3.4.3 20050227 (Red Hat 3.4.3-22.1)
>
> I don't know if it is possible to fix this, but I can help with
> testing if you have a patch for this in the future.

That's good news! If you're willing to be a guinea pig, could you try
compiling with -O1?

I'm almost certain this is a bug in GCC's optimizer, and it'd take some
tedious trial-and-error to find out *exactly* which -fno-XXX option to
pass to disable whatever optimization (dead code? block reorder? beats
me!) is broken on ia64. If -O1 works, that's probably good enough.

If icc/ia64 also refused to generate proper code, I might be convinced
it's a bug in PerlQt which escapes notice on more forgiving platforms,
but I find that unlikely.

If you *really* want to find the offending option (and perhaps report
it to RedHat to be fixed), you can find the list of -f options for each
optimization level in the gcc man-page. If I had the ia64 box in front
of me, I'd find out which -O level causes an error, and replace the -O
switch with the list of -f options listed in the gcc manual page,
confirm the error still occurs, and then try removing -f options until
it starts working. Whichever -f option makes a difference is the one
I'd  want to explicitly disable on ia64.

Thanks,
Ashley Winters