[Kde-perl] designer Segfault when a try to create a Perl project

David Greaves david at dgreaves.com
Fri Oct 1 11:56:45 CEST 2004

Gonéri Le Bouder wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've probleme running qt-designer with de PerlQt-3 module from CVS.
>
> designer Segfault when a try to create a Perl project ( Strace file
> attached ).

I had a similar problem - I traced mine to an X font call.

My problem occurs when I switch focus between windows.
The workaround is to not use italic fonts for any of the font higlighting.

You need to start designer, open a perl project and go straight to
edit->prefs and select perl editor tab.
Then make sure none of the elements (comment, hash key etc) have the
'italic' checkbox selected.

I think this is an X bug - it shouldn't segfault no matter what string
it's passed as a font.
One problem is that I can't create a minimal test case - if I do the
font string works :(
(Indeed the preview in Preferences is fine too...!)

I have the X source code and have stepped to the X line that causes the
problem.

I submitted 2 comprehensive mails to the Debian X list - both ignored.

Sorry if this isn't your problem - you didn't say if it was an immediate
fault or occured after certain user actions. (ie does the designer
window pop up at all?)

David