[Kde-perl] world's first operating system with Perl Qt as a core component

troy at troywill.com troy at troywill.com
Sat Feb 28 19:46:11 CET 2004

I've been planning to make a grand announcement about the operating system
I've developed which uses Perl Qt. I haven't done that but rather will make
this  announcement with a whimper, not a bang.

First, the most important thing: my operating system is Free Software, in the
ethical sense. To be explicit, I won't be giving the operating system away
for free myself, but anyone who buys it from me will have the freedoms
guaranteed by the GPL to modify and redistribute the operating system without
limit, for whatever price, including free. Futhermore, I will explicitly
state that full source code is distributed with the OS, and is covered by
free software licenses.

Now for some of the main technical details:

1. Perl Qt is an essential component. It's used both as a front end to the
system administration programs, and as a primary application language.
2. Perl, MySQL (and Perl DBI), and KDE are all essential components.
3. The URI for the operating system is http://grantlinux.com

The operating system's full and official name is Grant GNU/Linux. I will not
object if people use the shorter version of "Grant Linux."

I have based Grant GNU/Linux on Mandrake Linux 9.2, but this will change as
time goes by, probably to Debian, due to Debian's clear support of Free
Software. I will be contacting Mandrake's engineers privately to offer them
help ingratiating my changes back into Mandrake's software, out of a sense of
ethical obligation to give back to the Free Software Community.

Troy Will
February 28, 2004