Profile a widget style

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Sun Sep 5 04:34:41 CEST 2010

On Monday 30 August 2010, Mantia Andras wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  if you missed my blog (http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4318), here is
> the summary: I found that Oxygen + nvidia driver + certain nvidia cards
> cause high CPU usage on XOrg. Plastique doesn't cause it.
> The question: anyone has an idea how could I profile what goes wrong?

This is my experience too. At least for kwin most of them problem goes away by
disable thumbnails, but the widget set is weirdly hard to debug. Sometime the
widget set is fast enough, but then sometimes it is really slow. I've tried to
profile it several times, but all I found was a problem with reparsing the XML
config files, and that have already been solved now. So I am also at a loss at
how to move on. The only thing that I can think of that makes nvidia special
is that they not default to not enable shared pixmaps, and Qt could be
optimized to rely on shared pixmaps(?).

Mvh
Allan