Profile a widget style

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Wed Oct 6 23:56:41 CEST 2010

Le Monday 04 October 2010, Esben Mose Hansen a écrit :
> On Friday 03 September 2010 00:01:31 Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > Maybe switching more application by default to raster is the solution. if
> > not  the entire desktop.  This need to be tested before.
> > So 99% of the user would have fast KDE.
>
> as far as I know, raster has some severe drawbacks. E.g, remote X does not
> work with raster, I think.

Raster does not have severa drawnbacks.

It has some that i am aware of:
- Remote X might be slower with raster. (But not necesarily true anymore with
complex style like oxygen) (and anyway, why slowing 90%+ of the users that
does not use remote X, specially on distrib for desktop)
- Font cache in each application might incrase the memory usage. (how much?)
- Is not 100% pixel perfect with the native one, hence some difference might
appears. (So testing need to be done)
- Break if the application was calling native X11 call. (those application
need to force the native graphics system)

Also note that:
- In Qt 4.8, raster is the default on X11 (this is already the case in Qt
master)
- I have been using KDE with raster for months, and everything seems to work
well.

> If we want to switch backend, opengl makes a lot more sense, imho.

OpenGL graphics system is still very experimental.
It often just does not work.