Let's break this silence

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Aug 21 13:57:56 CEST 2010

On Saturday 21 August 2010, Erik wrote:
>   2010-08-21 07:21, Mohammad Ebrahim Mohammadi Panah skrev:
> > Why am I here?
> > I'm dissatisfied with KDE performance, CPU-wise, memory-wise, etc.
>
> The most annoying performance regression in KDE4 is the
> logout/shutdown dialog. When I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete it takes about
> 6 seconds for KDE to react by showing a simple dialog box with 4
> buttons!

2 seconds on my system.

> Then it takes 2 seconds to move focus to between the
> buttons with the down arrow key!

There is no such delay on my system.

> It is not a cache issue, because if
> I close it and press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, it takes 6 seconds again.

Please try whether disabling desktop effects helps. Maybe the graphics
card driver is the problem.

BTW: The easiest workaround for this problem is to avoid the
logout/shutdown dialog by using the appropriate keyboard shortcut. Since
I discovered that there is a shortcut for immediate shutdown
(Shift+Ctrl+Alt+PageDown) I use it almost exclusively when I want to
shutdown my system.

> > A crude idea to make things more spicy: What's your idea about
> > removing some dynamic memory allocations by using stack in place of
> > heap?
>
> That should always be done when possible.

Full ACK. But I don't think it's worth reviewing the existing code
unless profiling shows it to be a problem.

Regards,
Ingo