bring speed back into KConfig

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Thu Apr 17 11:43:18 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 16 April 2008, Juergen Pfennig wrote:

> I also found (at that time) that the code was not perfectly optimized and
> it was not capable of handling different line ending styles CR vs LF vs CR
> LF and it did not handle various unicode encodings correctly.

there is only one encoding: utf8, so this is lesser of a concern. the line
ending style might be a new problem, but it certainly wasn't an isseu with
kde3 :)

> Again: the use of mmap() caused exceptions in one network filesystem (smb
> at that time). Please be very carefull before changing it.

I'm also against adding mmap(), it doesn't seem to be a good idea and has too
many drawbacks, especially iwth networked filesystems. However, a general
parser speedup (in the style that qsettings e.g. did it, however that code is
GPL, so we can't use it).

Greetings,
Dirk