QCString construction

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Sat Feb 10 18:33:24 CET 2007

On Saturday 10 February 2007 01:43, David Faure wrote:
> I was debugging today the memory consumption by kmail (qt3) when sending
> signed emails with large attachments. Among other things, I noticed many
> QCString(const char*) constructions in kmail, like: QCString
> KMMessage::asString() const {
>    return asDwString().c_str();
> }
> and
> messagecomposer.cpp: mEncodedBody = dwPart->AsString().c_str();

The fastest string copy is not doing it at all...
Why is code like this necessary? Why returning a low level c_str?
If it is why does it have to be in a hot path?

I have been guilty of optimizing code that is rarely used resulting in
- less readable code
- more prone to errors
- harder to optimize later
- for very little real world gain...