Desktop memory usage

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Sep 11 12:31:47 CEST 2006

On Sunday 10 September 2006 23:52, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Sunday 10 September 2006 15:43, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Hello,
> >
> >  I finally found some time to put together something that I had measured
> > already quite a while ago. And I think the results are interesting. But
> > before I post this somewhere publically I'd appreciate if somebody could
> > at least quickly check it. I'd hate to see this trashed by people just
> > because of some silly stupid mistake that I've managed to overlook. It
> > still needs some final polishing but otherwise I right now consider it
> > complete, so in case you see something wrong, missing or not clear with
> > it, please tell me.
>
> Some nitpicking:
> filemanager for WMaker: midnight commander, maybe xemacs as editor ?

 I'd say plain shell is more common case for this kind of users than mc,
guessing from knowing a couple of them. As for xemacs, it's not my intention
to show that Window Maker is more heavy than Xfce >:) . Seriously, this
doesn't matter that much for these benchmarks.

> The tables with the numbers are not very clear.
> I guess that first number is the number reported by exmap, the number in
> brackets is the number from free ? Which difference is "diff" in every case
> ?

 It's mentioned in the text, but yes, I guess I should make that much more
explicit.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz