Desktop memory usage

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Sep 11 12:28:08 CEST 2006

On Monday 11 September 2006 11:59, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just one question: What makes you think that running applets out of process
> uses any significant amount of memory extra?

 My measurements. Mostly past ones, that is, but it was visible even in this
one in Exmap. E.g. Klipper can be both an applet and a systray app and the
latter is measurably more heavy.

> It is one of your "conclusions", but I see no evidence for it, and KDE also
> runs IO-slaves out-of-process.

 It's not processes per se that are heavy, it's all the setup they do when
they're full KDE apps (which e.g. systray apps are). KIO slaves do much
smaller setup (no X connection, no fonts, no UI styles, ...) and are
therefore lighter.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz