Speed of protocol fish

Marcos Dione mdione at grulic.org.ar
Fri May 12 23:23:09 CEST 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 04:18:03PM +0200, Werner Modenbach wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> thanks for your fast answer.
> As far as I understand fish is the same than using scp except it isn't on a
> command line but implemented as a protocol in KDE.

    not exactly. fish uses a perl program on the `server´ to answer the
kioslave's requests:

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdebase/kioslave/fish/fish.pl?rev=438982&view=log

> When using scp in a shell transfers are significantly faster!!!

    yes, I noticed this too.

    take also in account that the code is rather unmaintained; last commit was:
Modified Fri Nov 19 17:40:19 2004 UTC (17 months, 3 weeks ago) by waba. maybe it
doesn't need maintenance, but given the performance problem it has, I guess it's
just old code. useful, but slow.

--
(Not so) Random fortune:
12:56 < yogurt2ungue> La curva de conocimiento en S.L. es mas empinada eso hace