KDE/kdelibs/kstyles/keramik

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Mar 23 14:16:49 CET 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 14:18, Fabio Pedretti wrote:
> Hi,
> sorry if I haven't replied sooner.
> What's the status of the conversion from 8 to 32bpp? Is this conversion too slower for some type of image?
Well I assumed that you checked that before converting the PNGs, but apparently you didn't.
If you're "optimizing" the images, it would be good to make sure that this doesn't slow down their loading.
After all hard disk space is cheap compared to runtime delays...

Here's a test program, put it in an empty dir and compile it with "qmake -project ; qmake ; make",
(you need Qt4), and run it with various PNGs as argument. Of course, on a system that is not otherwise
loaded since it measures actual time. I guess one could combine this with the time command to get
wall-clock independent data.

$ time ./pixmaptest /devel/kde/src/www/areas/koffice/kformula/pics/hi48-app-kformula.png
./pixmaptest /devel/kde/src/www/areas/koffice/kformula/pics/hi48-app-kformula.png  0,16s user 0,02s system 87% cpu 0,203 total

> Can I optimize png in KDE 3.5 branch?
Please don't, at least until this issue is resolved.