Webpage update-- to avoid breaking KDE

Andy Fielding ander4321 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 1 12:42:25 CEST 2006

Hi,

On your KDE optimization wiki page:

http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Performance%20Tips#id182322

...I tried this tip:

> The KDE splashscreen
>
> Try disabling the splashscreen shown during KDE
> startup. Currently, you can do so only by editing
the
> startkde script. As user root, modify
> $KDEDIR/bin/startkde and remove the line saying
> 'ksplash --nodcop'.

Unfortunately, I didn't bother to read the next
paragraph:

> KDE 3.4: In the list of available splashscreens in
> its control module, there are two options "None"
> and "Simple", first of them turning the splashscreen
> off completely, second selecting a very simple
> optimized splashscreen...

I edited startkde, rebooted, and tried to log on. KDE
wouldn't start. I had to boot from a live CD and
un-edit the file.

How about updating your text so other people don't
make this mistake? See my suggested text at the end of
this message.

BTW, I'm a professional writer and editor. If there's
anything else I can do to help the KDE project, just
let me know!

Cheers, Andy
 - - -
Andy Fielding
Copywriter, technical writer, editor
Vancouver, Canada

 - - - - - - - -
Revision suggestion for "The KDE splashscreen"
section,
"KDE Wiki - Performance Tips"
(http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Performance%20Tips#id182322)

The KDE Splash Screen

Try disabling or simplifying the animated splash
screen that appears when KDE starts.

For KDE 3.4 or later:

In the KDE Control Center, click Appearance & Themes,
then click Splash Screen. In the list of available
splash screens, select "None" (no splash) or "Simple"
(a very simple optimized splash).

For earlier KDE versions:

As root, edit $KDEDIR/bin/startkde and add a comment
sign (#) to the beginning of the line that says
'ksplash --nodcop'.