Starting KDE faster IF KDE was started when the server

Jonathan Chen jonachen at cisco.com
Wed Mar 16 17:58:21 CET 2005

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:55:12 +0100
> From: Martijn Klingens <klingens at kde.org>
>
> Well, what you could do is automatically login to a local KDE
> session so at least all important files are in the system's
> caches. After you have loaded this initial session you can
> logout the session or leave it running to force the system to
> keep KDE in the working set. The latter can have lots of
> negative side effects, so be sure to do LOTS of testing to
> see whether it improves performance. Preloading KDE on boot
> time and then logging off again should help in any case.

Is there any instructions for this? Not an expert with KDE.  I'm too used to
command line. =)

> *ESPECIALLY* for terminal servers you should really consider
> upgrading your KDE. 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 all sported reduced
> memory usage and faster performance, so especially if the
> system will be serving multiple users, by all means consider
> the newest KDE you can find.

Exactly,  the reason why I said having KDE startup during boot time is so
that when a user logs into a RHEL w/KDE, the system would load up his/her
profile and not completely startup kde.  Basically asking for something like
Win2k3 with Citrix on the server.   Of course in this case its RHEL/KDE with
FreeNX(as citrix equivalent).

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:44:01 -0700
> From: Aaron Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>
>
> if you are using NX, then you can suspend a running session.
> if you have the
> RAM to support keeping a KDE session around fulltime (not
> particularly
> expensive, but grows with the number of users, obviously),
> then you could use
> this suspension feature to create a suspended session. the
> next time you
> connect to the machine via NX, you provide your log in
> credentials and the
> desktop is "instantly" on.

That would be ideal solution IF the users always connect to the same
machine.  If they are behind a load balancer, the idea would not work at
all.

Also I'm curious how later version of KDE 3.2 and up help in the terminal
server area?