KIconLoader Optimization Idea

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 6 19:02:34 CEST 2005

> Hi, my name is Luke Sandell, and I am a student at Appalachian State
> University looking for a project to do for Google's Summer of Coding. I
> had
> an idea for optimization but I wanted to run it by this group before I
> decide.
>
> My idea deals with the never-ending saga of application startup times.
> From
> watching the debug messages while KDE apps are starting up, it seems that
> significant amount of time is spent loading icons into memory

Hi... The first thing you may want to know is that most icon-loading is
done lazily. (See the QIconFactory use in kiconloader)

The second thing you may want to know that quite a few developers have
attempted icon-server type thingies before. Hopefully they can share their
experiences with you.

The third thing you may want to know is that debug output via kdDebug
severely slows down app startup.

Thanks for considering this issue,
Maks.