KIconLoader Optimization Idea

Stefan Heimers stefan at heimers.ch
Mon Jun 6 17:18:15 CEST 2005

Am Monday, 6. June 2005 16.40 schrieb Simon Perreault:

> Maybe instead you could write a simple socket-based daemon. Protocol:
> client opens socket, writes null-terminated icon filename. Server
> accepts connections, uses cache to retrieve data, writes data on
> socket, closes socket.

This adds a round-trip between the two processes for each icon. How
about sending a list of all icons needed and getting all icons back as
a bulk?

And have a look at the archives, icon caching has already been discussed
here:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-optimize&w=2&r=1&s=icon+cache&q=b

I could propose another possibility: Create a new file type not
containing icons, but complete icon sets. So an application only needs
to open two iconset files in stead of dozens of separate icon files.
eg. kde_standard.iset and applicationname_specific.iset.

The iset could be one large standard png file with all icons
side-by-side. It could be decoded/decompressed in one step and then cut
into the separate icons.

Stefan