Disk usage optimizations

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Feb 22 22:25:47 CET 2005

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 20:18, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> On February 22, 2005 11:28, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > opening of K-Menu can last some time.
>
> since we use ksycoca to populate the kmenu, are you sure it's disk activity
> that causes this?

Well, from the sound of it, yes :-) It's probably due to the icon loading,
when a menu is first shown we need to load the icons, and for each icon we
need to hit the disk. If the IO-system is under load that can take a
significant time.

For KDE4 it would be nice if we could load icons more efficiently, e.g. if we
could load all icons for a single menu with one disk access instead of 10.

Oh, and did you know that the iconloader tests for 464 different icons before
deciding that we can't find an icon for gedit? I assume that the kernel has
cached most of that information already, if it had to hit the disk 464 times
we would be in deep shit.

Cheers,
Waldo
--