imap slave & DNS & memory usage

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Wed Feb 9 22:12:34 CET 2005

André Wöbbeking wrote:
>which use 16MB VmData?

It's possible, because it has to load the Unicode 4.0 character table, as
well as a decent-sized case-folding map. (See RFC 3491, 3492 and
especially 3454)

I'd just hope that they've made those tables entirely read-only and
without relocations necessary. That way, the tables would be a direct,
read-only mmap to the library's file. But, as I said, I don' t how *how*
libidn is implemented internally.

BTW, 16MB seems to be an awful lot, even if they had the entire Unicode
4.0 table -- including the parts of the table they don' t directly need.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."