Reimplementing trivial apps as dcop services

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Mon Apr 4 12:29:03 CEST 2005

Le Dimanche 3 Avril 2005 02:21, Luke Alan Sandell a écrit :
> There is a variety of command-line apps which are meant mainly for use in
> shell scripts and which work by calling their corresponding kdelibs
> functions. We have kdialog, kcolorchooser [...] kprinter.
> Since each of these [...] create their own instance of KApplication, they
> are extremely slow. [...] I found that the 'dcop' command for invoking dcop
> functions is extremely fast,

> and so it dawned upon me to simply create dcop services for all these
> commands (which I have stated to do).

About message box, in KDE4, there will be a service which will help KNotify to
display messages. (using dbus)
Based on a future freedesktop specification [1] which should allow current
message box, and even more.
I've already started to code it. But i wait the start of the kdelibs port to
QT4 to continue.

Note that it is already possible to show basic message box with dcop using the
knotify daemon.  But as it has not been designed for that, not everything is
possible.

For others dialog that are not covered by that, I think it's probably a good
idea. Appart the fact that it does mean another daemon running.

[1] http://www.galago.info/specs/notification/