icefox tests issues

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Oct 21 13:32:59 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 20 of October 2004 17:42, rgfernandes wrote:
> Hi,

> But I have three issues with the icefox tests.
> One is that these scripts seems to concentrate in kde
> packages but kdelibs and kdebase. Why?? We can get more
> important speed up in these packages. Tell me if I am wrong,
> but these changes don't cause bugs. They can be safetily
> made in kdelibs and kdebase.

 If the changes get checked that they don't have unintended effects like
changing 'a = it++;' then of course it should be harmless.

> The scripts to find ==QString::null and =="" don't find
> !=QString::null and !="". These should be changed to
> !isNull() and !isEmpty() too.
> And finally, icefox says that changing "QString" to "const
> QString &" in kdelibs breaks the binary compatibility, but
> is this correct??? A function cannot be overloaded with
> const. I think this change don't break the binary
> compatibility and makes a huge improvement in speed.

 See
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/kdeqt/kde3arch/devel-binarycompatibility.html

 Changing function signature changes the way the symbol is mangled by the C++
compiler for the linker. Therefore such changes cannot be done in public API
that has to stay binary compatible.

> One more question. Where I can send the patches to be
> applied?? Could be here??

 That should be sufficient. You could also probably get a CVS account to do
your changes yourself if you're willing to work more on this.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org