stripping kde libs and binaries

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Oct 20 11:20:35 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 19 of October 2004 18:43, Juergen Pfennig wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 October 2004 12:53, CPH wrote:
> > What about also running the strip command on libs and binaries ?

 Debug info is places in special sections of the binaries, at the end of the
file. It is not loaded at all when loading the binary for execution. Striping
may save some disk space, but the peformance effect should be negligible.

 Moreover I think binary packages are usually stripped from unneeded data.

> Even worse - I heard some people say that SuSE patched the Linux loader to
> pre-read the whole binary - which would be horrible if a binary would not
> be stripped. I still hope that I misunderstood something.

 You did. Only the parts needed for execution are loaded.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org