stripping kde libs and binaries

Juergen Pfennig info at j-pfennig.de
Tue Oct 19 18:43:12 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 12:53, CPH wrote:
> What about also running the strip command on libs and binaries ?

I asked that a while ago and the common opinion was that in general binaries
should not be stripped (Dr. Konqui would no longer provide usefull
tracebacks).

***

Personally I would like stripped binaries. It is quite rare that apps that
crash produce a usefull traceback; and who would like to analyze them? There
are too many binary versions of KDE around.

Most bugs do not crash applications - they simple cause wrong behaviour and
this would not be influenced by stripped files.

Even worse - I heard some people say that SuSE patched the Linux loader to
pre-read the whole binary - which would be horrible if a binary would not be
stripped. I still hope that I misunderstood something.

Jürgen