Performance tips updated

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Oct 12 10:15:52 CEST 2004

On Monday 11 of October 2004 19:09, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 11 October 2004 19:01, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > On Monday 11 of October 2004 18:51, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> > > One suggestion: reducing the number of applications started when kde
> > > starts -additionally to the /opt/kde/share/autostart/ create a
> > > directory /opt/kde/ share/dontautostart/ and move all desktop files you
> > > don't need from autostart/ to dontautostart/
> >
> >  Approved :).  (= feel free to update the page).
>
> How should I call /opt/kde/ ? $(KDEDIR) ?

 In one of the tips I said that /opt/kde3 is assumed to be the location, and
all paths need to be adjusted if it's different.

> > > And another thought: konqys memory usage can grow quite high when
> > > browsing the web and having a lot of tabs open. Since free() doesn't
> > > give the memory back to the OS, the memory stays used even if you close
> > > all the tabs. So from time to time it helps to really terminate some
> > > konqy processes (as opposed to reusing preloaded ones).
> >
> >  free() gives back, but only if it has a block that is large enough,
> > which doesn't happen if the memory gets fragmented.
>
> Really ? I'm no expert on this topic, but I thought I read somewhere that
> the process size never decreases.

 If I'm reading the malloc in kdecore correctly, it gives back memory in two
cases - when a very large block was allocated (those are allocated separately
using mmap() and there's no problem to release them), and when a sufficiently
large area at the top is unused (which is pretty unlikely to happen with
KDE).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer