Has The performance been forgotten?

Karl Vogel karl.vogel at seagha.com
Mon Oct 4 14:44:34 CEST 2004

Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote in
news:200410041228.18762.l.lunak at suse.cz:

>  Which means there's probably something wrong with the setup. I
>  recently spent
> some time extensively profiling KDE startup, I'm about to finish
> updating the KDE performance tips, and I'll publish them shortly. I
> suggest you check them after they're announced, maybe you'll find the
> reason for your slowness.

Something I just noticed in an strace of konsole.. processing the XLocale
stuff on my lowly P2-400 takes 1 second.

I know very little of this part of X11 (XIM), but I was wondering if this
slowness is something specific to the Fedora Core setup?!

I did a quick test by removing the following line:

en_US.UTF-8/XLC_LOCALE:                        en_US.UTF-8

From:
    	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.dir

(en_US.UTF-8 = my current locale, ie. LANG=en_US.UTF-8)

Konsole starts faster (2 seconds instead of 3 => 33% speed increase), but
it does show a warning at startup:

$ time konsole
Qt: Locales not supported on X server
QInputContext: no input method context available

real    0m2.020s
user    0m0.981s
sys     0m0.323s

It works fine for the rest... so I wonder if there isn't some opportunity
here. (for the people that don't need special Input methods)

Maybe worth a bullet on that KDE performance tips list :-)