Yet more "preloading"

Karl Vogel karl.vogel at seagha.com
Sat Mar 27 23:38:08 CET 2004

Lubos Lunak wrote:

>  And finally, the "suggestions from the clueless" part:
>
>  I think there are two ways how to make fboot do better. Either having
>  some
> kind of nice(2) equivalent for I/O, and run fboot with the lowest
> priority, so that it doesn't slow down other things (moreover, such I/O
> priority thing would be nice for other things too, tasks run from cron can
> also be very noticeable despite being run with nice 20).

I just noticed this thread, so this might already have been mentioned.. but
here goes..

The kernel v2.6 CFQ I/O scheduler of Jens Axboe has this. You'll find an
example in the WOLK kernel patch (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wolk).
There is an ionice userspace program included which will allow you to set
I/O scheduling priorities.