KMail stats

Stefan Heimers stefan at heimers.ch
Tue Mar 23 06:58:54 CET 2004

George Staikos wrote:

>Mozilla updates its UI very sparingly - not surprising given how slow it tends
>to be.  The KMail progress dialog HAS to go, and we would do well to rework
>the foldertree.  This is a very major thing I think.  We should also only
>trigger foldertree updates at most every 500ms or so (maybe more) when bulk
>operations are happening.

It is set to 200ms now. You can find it in kmail/kmfoldertree.cpp around
line 699:

 //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 // Initiate a delayed refresh of the count of unread messages
 // Not really need anymore as count is cached in config file. But causes
 // a nice blink in the foldertree, that indicates kmail did something
 // when the user manually checks for mail and none was found.
 void KMFolderTree::refresh()
 {
   mUpdateTimer.changeInterval(200);
 }

Increasing the interval definitely reduces the number of tree redraws.

But the comment is misleading. If you comment out the command to change
the interval, there is no flickering of the foldertree anymore, the
foldertree still works, but it will no longer decrease the number of
unread mails while you read them.

Stefan