Yet more "preloading"

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Mar 18 16:39:36 CET 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 03:43:19PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  My idea how this should work is roughly this: [...]
i think that suspend/resume idea is insane. this should be solved with
an "idle" io scheduling priority in the kernel. by doing this in user
space you reach at max ~50% efficiency at a quite high price.

i'm not sure i like the "statistical auto-configuration" for kdm you
described.
however, this gave me an Absolutely Brilliant Idea (TM): this whole
problem could/should be solved in a generic way with kernel support: the
kernel only needs to create a file access log of the boot process. on
subsequent boots, preloading would be initiated based on this data. of
course things become fun at the point the boot process branches
(different sessions are choosen); this could be either auto-detected
with "life analysis" of the current boot process, or by hinting from
user space (hello ?dm) - the latter sounds less like a hack, but
requires support in many programs.
does this sound like a plan? andrew?
btw, as is known, windows 98 (et sqq.?) uses such a file access log for
preparing disk defragmentation.

greetings