Yet more "preloading"

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Mar 18 15:51:08 CET 2004

On Thursday 18 of March 2004 15:13, Michael Matz wrote:
> Hi Lubos,
>
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > 11,5s , which is noticeably more than the 3s gain. After being more picky
> > about $KDEDIR/share and scanning only some of its subdirectories, the
> > time of
>
> And if you change it like Andrew proposed (i.e. first readdir() all dirs,
> _no_ stats, then order all entries in inode order, _then_ stat everything
> in that order)?  Maybe the 11.5s goes down, without the gain reducing.

 Yes, I have noted it down, I'll try that. I don't know if it'll be possible
to do all readdir()s first - this has to be done while the machine is idle
and waiting for the user to log in, this all has to be stopped as soon as
startkde is launched, obviously. I'll check.

 Hmm, but my / is reiser, only /home is ext3 (yeah, those sorry people who
can't decide). We'll see.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer