A Mini-Kde project, was: Why Kde should remain as light as possible

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at virgilio.it
Sun Mar 14 23:59:16 CET 2004

On Sunday 14 March 2004 14:00, M. Fioretti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> first of all, public thanks to Luciano for all the testing he did
> after my request.

I have tested a bit more today. If you don't need xinerama support and
antialiased text, you can add the options
-no-xinerama -no-xrender -no-xft.
With these, libqt-mt.so shrinks to 5925200 bytes.
A copy of konqueror linked to this library with
LD_PRELOAD=~/kde/qt-copy-local/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.1.1 konqueror
on an otherwise "normal" SuSE install, uses, according to top 21MB, versus
23 when using the standard library. Building against this library could
improve still a bit, since libXft and libXrender are still linked to
konqueror.

Hope that helps,
Luciano

--