Why Kde should remain as light as possible

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at virgilio.it
Fri Mar 12 16:55:59 CET 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 21:41, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 March 2004 10:52, Luciano Montanaro wrote:

> > This is a nice idea in general, but you still have to have a powerful
> > server. I think Marco's idea is to have a distro working well on an aging
> > home computer.
> >
> > Think a pentium-class PC with 32MB.
>
> I'm afraid this is realistically not enough for running KDE with sufficent
> speed.
> > On the other hand, I have tried Konqueror 3.2 on my old (1998) laptop
> > (64MB, K6-2 350MHz) and it works. Should it have 128MB, it would be
> > perfect. As it is, after removing unnecessary services, stripping the
>
> Yes, something above 200 MHz and 128 MB RAM are good enough.

> > About Qt optimization: compiling it with -Os -fomit-frame-pointer
> > -funit-at-a-time its size drops by quite a bit.
>
> Can you provide some numbers ?
> Would be interesting.

I'll forward my findings here tomorrow - I wrote a summary of my findings
at home, and I don't have it with me. Basically, with the above options,
and disabling the OpenGL classes, you can build a stripped Qt library of
less than 6MB of size. For embedded work, you can get also smaller Qt's.
For my tests I used the SuSE 9 gcc 3.3 compiler; the -funit-at-a-time option
made quite a difference.

Luciano